Physical stability and clinical efficacy of Crocodylus niloticus oil lotion
Venter, Telanie, Fox, Lizelle Triféna, Gerber, Minja, du Preez, Jan L., van Zyl, Sterna, Boneschans, Banie, du Plessis, Jeanetta
Rev. bras. farmacogn.
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
ABSTRACT The stability and the anti-ageing, skin hydrating and anti-erythema effects of a commercialized Crocodylus niloticus Laurenti, 1768, Crocodylidae, oil lotion was determined. The lotion was stored at controlled conditions over six months during which several stability tests were performed. For the clinical efficacy studies lotion was applied on volar forearm skin (female volunteers) and compared to a liquid paraffin-containing reference product. Skin hydrating and anti-ageing effects were determined with a Corneometer®, Cutometer® and Visioscan®, following single (3 h) and multiple applications (12 weeks). The Vapometer® and Mexameter® were utilized to determine this lotion's anti-erythema effects on sodium lauryl sulfate irritated skin. The lotion demonstrated good stability over 6 months. The reference product increased skin hydration and decreased skin wrinkles to a larger extent than the C. niloticus lotion after a single application, whereas the C. niloticus lotion decreased skin scaliness better than the reference product. During the long-term study, the reference product overall increased skin hydration more than the C. niloticus lotion, whereas C. niloticus lotion increased skin elasticity to a larger extent than the reference product. C. niloticus lotion increased skin wrinkles and decreased skin scaliness over 12 weeks. Compared to non-treated, irritated skin, C. niloticus lotion demonstrated some potential anti-inflammatory characteristics.
- Efficacy of clove oil as anesthetic in handling and transportation of Nile tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus (Actinopterygii: Cichlidae) juveniles
- Genotypic Stability of Cold-Adapted Influenza Virus Vaccine in an Efficacy Clinical Trial
- Clinical efficacy and safety of cefmenoxime in children.
- Netilmicin: Clinical Efficacy, Tolerance, and Toxicity
- Development, characterization and stability of microemulsionated formulations of bacaba, Oenocarpus bacaba oil