Otoneurologic Findings in a Fishermen Population of the State of Santa Catarina: Preliminary Study
Zeigelboim, Bianca Simone, Silva, Thanara Pruner da, Carvalho, Hugo, Malucelli, Diego Augusto de Brito, Gonçalves, Claudia Giglio de Oliveira, Albizu, Evelyn Joyce, Liberalesso, Paulo Breno Noronha, Lacerda, Adriana Bender Moreira de, Barilari, Gerusa Lopes
Int. Arch. Otorhinolaryngol.
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
Introduction Fishing, one of the oldest productive activities, is an important sector of the national and world economy. Aim To evaluate the vestibular behavior in a population of fishermen. Methods In a retrospective and cross-sectional study, 13 fishermen (mean 45.0), between 33 and 62 years of age, were submitted to anamnesis, otorhinolaryngological evaluation, and vestibular exam through the vector electronystagmography. Results The most evident otoneurologic symptoms were hearing loss (76.9%), tinnitus (61.7%), dizziness (46.1%), and headache (46.1%). The most evident clinical symptoms were fatigue (46.1%), depression (23.0%), anxiety (15.3%), insomnia (7.7%), and agitation during sleep (7.7%). There were alterations in the vestibular exam in 5 fishermen (38.5%) discovered in the caloric test. There was a prevalence of alteration in the peripheral vestibular system. There was a major frequency of the peripheral vestibular irritative syndrome. Conclusion The otoneurologic complaints were frequent in the population studied to verify the importance of allowing labyrinth exams and the need for adopting preventive measures relating to noise exposure as well as carbon monoxide exposure, because they can cause and/or enhance various manifestations of labyrinthine vestibular impairment that can affect the quality of life of these workers.
- Organizational climate in a public hospital in the State of Santa Catarina: a case study
- Influence of comorbidities on CD4+/CD8+ proportion in HIV-positive patients in Blumenau, State of Santa Catarina: a retrospective study
- O ensino de música no projeto escola pública integrada do estado de Santa Catarina: um estudo multicaso no médio vale do Itajaí
- O turismo saúde e as estâncias termais no Estado de Santa Catarina: a inserção do Tecnólogo em Cosmetologia e Estética
- Construindo a accountability em câmaras municipais do Estado de Santa Catarina: uma investigação nos portais eletrônicos.