Nutritional performance of cattle grazing on low-quality tropical forage supplemented with nitrogenous compounds and/or starch
Lazzarini, Ísis, Detmann, Edenio, Paulino, Mário Fonseca, Valadares Filho, Sebastião de Campos, Valadares, Rilene Ferreira Diniz, Oliveira, Fabrício Albani, Silva, Poliana Teixeira da, Reis, William Lima Santiago dos
R. Bras. Zootec.
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
The objective of this work was to evaluate the effects of protein and/or starch supplementation on the nutritional performance of cattle grazing on low-quality tropical forage. Five crossbred steers (Holstein × Gyr) with an average body weight (BW) of 397 kg that were fitted with ruminal and abomasal cannulae were used. The animals were kept in individual signal-grass (Bracharia decumbens) paddocks. Five treatments were evaluated: 1 - control (without supplementation); 2 - supplementation with 1 g of crude protein (CP) per kg of BW; 3 - supplementation with 2.5 g of starch per kg of BW; 4 - supplementation with CP and starch as described for treatments 2 and 3; and 5 - supplementation as described for treatment 4 but replacing the corn starch with a mixture of corn starch and nitrogenous compounds, thereby resulting in an energy supplement of 150 g CP/kg of dry matter. The experiment was performed according to a 5 × 5 Latin square design in a 2 × 2 + 1 factorial arrangement. The forage intake was not affected by any of the factors evaluated in this study. The production of microbial nitrogen in the rumen was not affected by nitrogen or starch supplementation. The apparent nitrogen balance was only increased when both starch and nitrogen were supplied. Supplementation with both starch and nitrogenous compounds for cattle grazing on low-quality tropical forage is characterized by an interactive metabolic effect that increases nitrogen accretion by the animals.
- Intake, digestibility, and rumen dynamics in cattle fed low-quality tropical forage and supplemented with nitrogenous compounds
- Desempenho nutricional de bovinos em pastejo durante os períodos de seca e de águas suplementados com compostos nitrogenados e/ou amido
- Suplementação nitrogenada ruminal e/ou abomasal em bovinos alimentados com forragem tropical
- Kinetics of digestion of low-quality forage grazed by beef cattle fed supplements containing increasing levels of rumen undegradable protein
- Intake, digestibility and transit and degradation dynamics of neutral detergent fiber in cattle fed low-quality tropical forage and nitrogenous compounds