Impact of prior abdominal surgery on the outcomes after robotic - assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy: single center experience
Kishimoto, Nozomu, Takao, Tetsuya, Yamamichi, Gaku, Okusa, Takuya, Taniguchi, Ayumu, Tsutahara, Koichi, Tanigawa, Go, Yamaguchi, Seiji
Int. braz j urol.
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
ABSTRACT Purpose: To evaluate the influence of prior abdominal surgery on the outcomes after robotic-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy (RALP). Materials and Methods: We retrospectively analyzed patients with prostate cancer who underwent RALP between June 2012 and February 2015 at our institution. Patients with prior abdominal surgery were compared with those without prior surgery while considering the mean total operating, console, and port-insertion times; mean estimated blood loss; positive surgical margin rate; mean duration of catheterization; and rate of complications. Results: A total of 203 patients who underwent RALP during the study period were included in this study. In all, 65 patients (32%) had a prior history of abdominal surgery, whereas 138 patients (68%) had no prior history. The total operating, console, and port-insertion times were 328 and 308 (P=0.06), 252 and 242 (P=0.28), and 22 and 17 minutes (P=0.01), respectively, for patients with prior and no prior surgery. The estimated blood losses, positive surgical margin rates, mean durations of catheterization, and complication rates were 197 and 170 mL (P=0.29), 26.2% and 20.2% (P=0.32), 7.1 and 6.8 days (P=0.74), and 12.3% and 8.7% (P=0.42), respectively. Furthermore, whether prior abdominal surgery was performed above or below the umbilicus or whether single or multiple surgeries were performed did not further affect the perioperative outcomes. Conclusions: Our results suggest that RALP can be performed safely in patients with prior abdominal surgery, without increasing the risk of complications.
- Does prior abdominal surgery influence outcomes or complications of robotic-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy?
- Robotic assisted radical prostatectomy: surgical techniques and outcomes
- Retzus-sparing robotic-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy: a step–by-step technique description of this first brazilian experience
- Pathologic outcomes during the learning curve for robotic-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy
- Laparoscopic radical prostatectomy: 10 years experience