Waste management focousing on industrial sustainability study case: petrochemical industries in Rio de Janeiro state / Gerenciamento de resíduos buscando a sustentabilidade industrial estudo de caso: indústrias petroquímicas localizadas no estado do Rio de Janeiro
Lucia Helena Gimenez Armesto
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
This research has the aim of evaluating environmental management systems of five petrochemical industries in the State of Rio de Janeiro. This studys main focus is on the management of solid and liquid wastes which are generated during producing processes and the commitment with Brazilian laws applied to environmental protection. Following the development on environmental management systems used by different producing market segments, it is noticed that more and more importance is given to adapt a production process to limits and conditions that allows its environmental sustainability. The five above-mentioned studied industries are reference in the transformation sector, with productive activities which may cause critical impacts on the environment. The general target of this study is to give a closer look on the methodology used by each of those industries on their efforts for continuous management improvement, facing the challenges of the use of renewable and not renewable resources, solid and liquid waste treatment, in agreement with more efficient production results, as well as the business sustainability. For the development of this study it was divided in two parts: Applied Research and Case Study. First, the industries were visited and the questionnaire was applied to evaluate issues concerning management of solid and liquid waste generated during the process. One of the five industries was selected as Case Sudy, once it does not have all the certifications complying environmental norms and also it does not have wastewater treatment at its facility. This industry was compared to the others as a reference to identify the efforts that are being followed by petrochemical industries, concerning natural resources preservation and residues minimization. This comparative analysis allowed recommendations to improve process steps considered highly harmful to the environment, and, by the way are not still accomplishing to Brazilian environmental laws, and/or that have not yet achieved an accepted waste minimization level in order to assure its environmental sustainability.
ACESSO AO ARTIGOhttp://www.bdtd.uerj.br/tde_busca/arquivo.php?codArquivo=1530
- Treatability of petrochemical industries wastewaters - case study.
- Gerenciamento de resíduos químicos em ambientes hospitalares: necessidades e dificuldades - estudo de caso: Hospital Universitário Federal localizado no Estado do Rio de Janeiro.
- Gestão estratégica de custos: estudos de casos de empresas industriais do setor de construção naval, localizadas no Estado do Rio de Janeiro
- Gerenciamento de resíduos químicos de laboratórios: estudo de caso do Instituto de Química da Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro.
- Avaliação do gerenciamento de resíduos sólidos em indústrias de extração e transformação de madeiras localizadas na Amazônia mato-grossense