Validation of HOMA-IR in a model of insulin-resistance induced by a high-fat diet in Wistar rats
Antunes, Luciana C., Elkfury, Jessica L., Jornada, Manoela N., Foletto, Kelly C., Bertoluci, Marcello C.
Arch. Endocrinol. Metab.
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
ABSTRACT Objective The present study aimed to validate homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance (HOMA-IR) in relation to the insulin tolerance test (ITT) in a model of insulin-resistance in Wistar rats induced by a 19-week high-fat diet. Materials and methods A total of 30 male Wistar rats weighing 200-300 g were allocated into a high-fat diet group (HFD) (55% fat-enriched chow, ad lib, n = 15) and a standard-diet group (CD) standard chow, ad lib, n = 15), for 19 weeks. ITT was determined at baseline and in the 19th week. HOMA-IR was determined between the 18-19th week in three different days and the mean was considered for analysis. Area under the curve (AUC-ITT) of the blood glucose excursion along 120 minutes after intra-peritoneal insulin injection was determined and correlated with the corresponding fasting values for HOMA-IR. Results AUC-ITT and HOMA-IR were significantly greater after 19th week in HFD compared to CD (p < 0.001 for both). AUC-OGTT was also higher in HFD rats (p = 0.003). HOMA-IR was strongly correlated (Pearson’s) with AUC-ITT r = 0.637; p < 0.0001. ROC curves of HOMA-IR and AUC-ITT showed similar sensitivity and specificity. Conclusion HOMA-IR is a valid measure to determine insulin-resistance in Wistar rats. Arch Endocrinol Metab. 2016;60(2):138-42
- Hypothalamic proinflammatory lipid accumulation, inflammation, and insulin resistance in rats fed a high-fat diet
- Characterization of an alcoholic hepatic steatosis model induced by ethanol and high-fat diet in rats
- Síndrome Metabólica e Resistência Insulínica pelo Homa-IR no Climatério
- Distribution of HOMA-IR in Brazilian subjects with different body mass indexes
- Evaluation of the Redox State of Wistar Rats Submitted to High-Fat Diet Supplemented With Infusion of Ilex paraguariensis