Transcriptional Coactivation of Bone-Specific Transcription Factor Cbfa1 by TAZ
Cui, Cai Bin
American Society for Microbiology
Core-binding factor 1 (Cbfa1; also called Runx2) is a transcription factor belonging to the Runt family of transcription factors that binds to an osteoblast-specific cis-acting element (OSE2) activating the expression of osteocalcin, an osteoblast-specific gene. Using the yeast two-hybrid system, we identified a transcriptional coactivator, TAZ (transcriptional coactivator with PDZ-binding motif), that binds to Cbfa1. A functional relationship between Cbfa1 and TAZ is demonstrated by the coimmunoprecipitation of TAZ by Cbfa1 and by the fact that TAZ induces a dose-dependent increase in the activity of osteocalcin promoter-luciferase constructs by Cbfa1. A dominant-negative construct of TAZ in which the coactivation domains have been deleted reduces osteocalcin gene expression down to basal levels. NIH 3T3, MC 3T3, and ROS 17/2.8 cells showed the expected nuclear localization of Cbfa1, whereas TAZ was distributed throughout the cytoplasm with some nuclear localization when transfected with either Cbfa1 or TAZ. Upon cotransfection by both Cbfa1 and TAZ, the transfected TAZ shows predominant nuclear localization. The dominant-negative construct of TAZ shows minimal nuclear localization upon cotransfection with Cbfa1. These data indicate that TAZ is a transcription coactivator for Cbfa1 and may be involved in the regulation of osteoblast differentiation.
ACESSO AO ARTIGOhttp://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=140696
- Monoclonal antibodies to native noncollagenous bone-specific proteins.
- Proviral insertions induce the expression of bone-specific isoforms of PEBP2αA (CBFA1): Evidence for a new myc collaborating oncogene
- Regulation of the Bone-Specific Osteocalcin Gene by p300 Requires Runx2/Cbfa1 and the Vitamin D3 Receptor but Not p300 Intrinsic Histone Acetyltransferase Activity
- Bone-Specific Transcription Factor Runx2 Interacts with the 1α,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 Receptor To Up-Regulate Rat Osteocalcin Gene Expression in Osteoblastic Cells
- Bone-Specific Expression of the Alpha Chain of the Nascent Polypeptide-Associated Complex, a Coactivator Potentiating c-Jun-Mediated Transcription