The S.T.O.N.E. Score: A new assessment tool to predict stone free rates in ureteroscopy from pre-operative radiological features
Molina, Wilson R., Kim, Fernando J., Spendlove, Joshua, Pompeo, Alexandre S., Sillau, Stefan, Sehrt, David E.
Int. braz j urol.
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
Objective: To develop a user friendly system (S.T.O.N.E. Score) to quantify and describe stone characteristics provided by computed axial tomography scan to predict ureteroscopy outcomes and to evaluate the characteristics that are thought to affect stone free rates. Materials and Methods: The S.T.O.N.E. score consists of 5 stone characteristics: (S)ize, (T)opography (location of stone), (O)bstruction, (N)umber of stones present, and (E)valuation of Hounsfield Units. Each component is scored on a 1-3 point scale. The S.T.O.N.E. Score was applied to 200 rigid and flexible ureteroscopies performed at our institution. A logistic model was applied to evaluate our data for stone free rates (SFR). Results: SFR were found to be correlated to S.T.O.N.E. Score. As S.T.O.N.E. Score increased, the SFR decreased with a logical regression trend (p < 0.001). The logistic model found was SFR=1/(1+e^(-z)), where z=7.02-0.57*Score with an area under the curve of 0.764. A S.T.O.N.E. Score ≤ 9 points obtains stone free rates > 90% and typically falls off by 10% per point thereafter. Conclusions: The S.T.O.N.E. Score is a novel assessment tool to predict SFR in patients who require URS for the surgical therapy of ureteral and renal stone disease. The features of S.T.O.N.E. are relevant in predicting SFR with URS. Size, location, and degree of hydronephrosis were statistically significant factors in multivariate analysis. The S.T.O.N.E. Score establishes the framework for future analysis of the treatment of urolithiasis.
- Pre-operative and Post-operative Treatment
- PRE-OPERATIVE GASTRIC GIST DOWNSIZING: THE IMPORTANCE OF NEOADJUVANT THERAPY
- What is the quickest scoring system to predict percutaneous nephrolithotomy outcomes? A comparative study among S.T.O.N.E score, Guy's Stone Ccore and CROES nomogram
- An analysis of pre-operative Pao2 in a general surgical population
- Malignant Occlusion of the Pulmonary Artery in Bronchial Carcinoma: Pre-operative Diagnosis by Bronchospirometry