Sustentabilidade de cadeias de reciclagem do óleo de fritura / Sustainability of the waste frying oil recycling chains
Renato Correa Netto
IBICT - Instituto Brasileiro de Informação em Ciência e Tecnologia
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
Wrongly perceived as having no impact on the environment due to its origin, the waste frying oil doesnt seem to have a structured recycling chain. People, industry, and different governmental levels operate on different ways that are not coordinated, therefore, providing a disposal path that could ship this waste to an environmentally correct destination. This study shows the way the recycling chains of cooking vegetable oil are functioning, thus identifying the components for assessing their capacity to stand the test of time and consolidate their sustainability. Departing from a review on sustainability indicators, this study proposes an assessment methodology that was applied to the existing residue recycling chains in the municipalities of Taubaté and São José dos Campos. The chain was described from its sources to the end users even if they were located far from the referred cities. Structured as a qualitative exploratory survey, all types of agents that operate these chains were interviewed and provided their perspectives on the current status and future prospective of this activity. The study shows that the existing waste frying oil recycling chains are few, weak, informal, and rely, frequently, on volunteerism. There is a need for a greater government presence on stimulating and regulating these chains or they will not become sustainable nor respect society rules and relationships, therefore, function as a more organized entity to improve its efficiency and add more value to the chain. An industry perspective was also provided, identifying few existing sustainable characteristics and opportunities for agents to contribute in making these chains stronger, what, in the end, will reduce the environmental impact of this residue.
- The viability of using waste frying oil for the production of biodiesel in the city of Pouso Alegre, MG, Brazil
- DEVELOPMENT OF METHODOLOGY FOR COLLECTION AND CONVERTION OF FRYING OIL INTO BIODIESEL
- Qualidade do óleo de fritura de mandioca: correlação entre dados analíticos e sensoriais para determinação do ponto de descarte
- Quality parameters of deep frying in soybean oil and the effects of consumption in Wistar rats
- A coleta seletiva para reciclagem de óleo e gordura residual: um estudo em unidades comerciais de alimentação de Salvador.