Seasonal variation in allelopathic potential of the leaves of Copaifera langsdorffii Desf.
Franco, Danilo Miralha, Saldanha, Luiz Leonardo, Neto, José de Sousa Lima, Santos, Lourdes Campaner dos, Dokkedal, Anne Ligia, Almeida, Luiz Fernando Rolim de
Acta Bot. Bras.
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
ABSTRACT The deciduous plant Copaifera langsdorffii contains important medicinal compounds which may also be allelopathic and inhibitory to plant growth. The species is endemic to the Brazilian Cerrado where there is pronounced climatic seasonality. In this study we demonstrate the allelopathic capacity of extracts from the leaves of C. langsdorffii and pre-purified fractions of the extract. Analysis by HPLC-PAD-ESI-MS confirmed the presence of quercetin-3-O-α-rhamnoside and kaempferol-3-O-α-rhamnoside as major components, as well as phenolic acid derivatives of gallic acid. The extracts from samples collected during the wet season were rich in flavonoids and reduced the seed germination rate, root emergence time, and root growth of Sorghum bicolor seedlings. Leaves of C. langsdorffii collected in both the wet and the dry season did not differ in the overall phytotoxic potential of their extracts, but differences detected in tested subfractions seem to indicate subtle seasonal changes in chemical composition. These results indicate that changes in the seasonal water status of the Cerrado induces differential synthesis of compounds with higher allelopathic activity.
- Constituintes químicos dos frutos de Copaifera langsdorffii Desf.
- Biologia reprodutiva de Copaifera langsdorffii Desf. (Leguminosae, Caesalpinioideae
- Spatial heterogeneity and its influence on Copaifera langsdorffii Desf. (Caesalpiniaceae)
- Water deficit modifies the carbon isotopic composition of lipids, soluble sugars and leaves of Copaifera langsdorffii Desf. (Fabaceae)
- Desenvolvimento de comprimidos e isolamento de marcadores a partir do extrato hidroalcoólico das folhas de Copaifera langsdorffii Desf.