Prevalência de asma e rinite em adolescentes de 13 e 14 anos de Fortaleza avaliada pelo método ISAAC.
Maria de Fátima Gomes de Luna
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
Asthma and rhinitis are the main chronic disorders among children and adolescents. These diseases have a significant negative impact on quality of life. Its prevalence has been increasing for the last few decades. Information about asthma and rhinitis in Northeast Brazil is still few. Aim: To evaluate the prevalence of asthma and rhinitis symptoms in 13 to 14-year old school children in Fortaleza, Northeastern Brazil. Method: Questionnaires based on the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood were filled out by 3,015 adolescents attending private and public schools between April 2006 and November 2007. Results: The prevalence of wheezing ever, active wheezing and diagnosed asthma was, respectively, 44.1%, 22.6% and 11,6%. The report of "4 or more episodes of wheezing in the last year" and "wheezing with limit speech" was recorded by 2.3% and 3.5% of the population, respectively. Wheezing after exercise and "nocturnal dry cough" were reported, respectively, by 25.2% and 34.4% of those surveyed. The prevalence of "cumulative rhinitis," "current rhinitis," "rhinoconjunctivitis" and "diagnosed rhinitis" were respectively 56.7%, 43.2%, 18.7% and 20.2%, while 24% reported interference of nasal symptoms with daily activities. Most asthma and rhinitis symptoms occurred in females and among adolescents from private schools. The study showed a strong association of symptoms of asthma to the symptoms of rhinitis and vice versa, and that 14.5% of the study population reported the presence of concurrent active asthma and rhinitis. Conclusions: The prevalence of asthma and rhinitis symptoms among 13 to 14-year old students in Fortaleza were above national averages, with predominance among females and among adolescents of the private school. Asthma-related morbidity in Fortaleza was smaller than the Brazilian average, but rhinitis-related morbidity was higher than the Brazilian average. The study found a strong association of asthma symptoms to rhinitis symptoms and vice-versa. Furthermore, asthma and rhinitis were found to be underdiagnosed in our area.
ACESSO AO ARTIGOhttp://www.uece.br/tde_busca/arquivo.php?codArquivo=229
- Prevalência e associação de asma e rinite em adolescentes de 13 e 14 anos de Fortaleza, Ceará, Brasil
- Prevalencia de asma e sintomas relacionados em adolescentes de 13 e 14 anos de Goiania, avaliados pelo questionairo ISAAC (International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood)
- Prevalência de sintomas de asma, rinite e eczema atópico entre crianças e adolescentes brasileiros identificados pelo International Study of Asthma and Allergies (ISAAC): fase 3
- Prevalência de asma, rinite e eczema atópico em escolares de 13 e 14 anos de idade no município de Passo Fundo, Rio Grande do Sul
- Comparação temporal das prevalências de asma e rinite em adolescentes em Fortaleza, Brasil