Prevalence of psoriatic arthritis among patients with plaque psoriasis: a Brazilian retrospective study
Gamonal, Shirley Braga Lima; Gamonal, Aloisio Carlos Couri; Brandão, Marcos Antônio Fernandes; Junqueira, Laura Andrade; Assis, Pollyana Mendonça de; Raposo, Nádia Rezende Barbosa
Sao Paulo Med. J.
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
ABSTRACT BACKGROUND: Psoriatic arthritis is the most frequent and impactful comorbidity among psoriatic patients and appears in most cases after skin disease. Dermatologists play a key role in its early diagnosis and treatment. OBJECTIVE: To determine the prevalence of psoriatic arthritis and associated variables among patients with plaque psoriasis seen at a reference center for treating psoriasis. DESIGN AND SETTING: Retrospective cross-sectional study conducted among 300 patients at an outpatient clinic in a university center in Juiz de Fora, MG, Brazil. METHODS: Standardized records of 300 patients with plaque psoriasis were examined. Demographic data and medical variables relating to psoriasis (Psoriasis Area and Severity Index (PASI), family history, age at onset and disease progression) and psoriasis arthritis (CASPAR criteria) were evaluated. Laboratory and radiographic tests in the medical records were reviewed. RESULTS: Seventy-three (24.3%) of these 300 patients with plaque psoriasis had psoriatic arthritis. Asymmetric oligoarthritis (58.9%) was the most common clinical form, followed by polyarthritis (20.5%), distal interphalangeal arthritis (15.2%) and spondyloarthritis (5.4%). Dactylitis was present in 21.9% and enthesitis in 35.6% of patients. Compared with patients without arthritis, patients with arthritis had higher average age, higher frequency of positive family history of psoriasis, longer duration of evolution and higher PASI rates. CONCLUSION: Psoriatic arthritis is often underdiagnosed. Since dermatologists perform the initial approach, these professionals need to be trained to diagnose this comorbidity and treat it, together with rheumatologists.
- Nail involvement in adult patients with plaque-type psoriasis: prevalence and clinical features
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in patients with psoriasis: a hospital-based cross-sectional study
- Prevalence of eye disease in Brazilian patients with psoriatic arthritis
- Psoriatic arthropathy and seronegative rheumatoid arthritis with psoriasis: distinguishing features from Reiter's syndrome.
- Psoriatic Arthritis: A Comparative Radiographic Study of Rheumatoid Arthritis and Arthritis Associated with Psoriasis