Prevalence of Human T-lymphotropic virus type 1 and 2 among blood donors in Manaus, Amazonas State, Brazil
Morais, Márcia Poinho EncarnaçÃo de, Gato, Cynara Melo, Maciel, Lucinei Alves, Lalwani, Pritesh, Costa, Cristóvão Alves, Lalwani, Jaila Dias Borges
Rev. Inst. Med. trop. S. Paulo
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
ABSTRACT Introduction: Human T-lymphotropic virus type 1 and 2 (HTLV-1/2) is endemic in Brazil, but few studies have investigated the seroprevalence of HTLV and its subtypes among blood donors in the capital city Manaus, Amazonas State, Brazil. Aim: To estimate the seroprevalence of HTLV-1/2 and to identify circulating subtypes among blood donors in Manaus. Materials and Methods: Blood donors (2001-2003) were screened for HTLV-1/2 antibodies by ELISA. Positive results were confirmed and subtyped by Western blot assays. Prevalence rates were calculated and compared with demographic data. Results: Among the 87,402 individuals screened, 116 (0.13%) were seropositive for HTLV-1/2. A second sample (76/116) was collected and retested by HTLV-1/2 ELISA, of which only 41/76 were positive. Western blot confirmed HTLV infection in 24/41 retested blood donors [HTLV-1 (n=16), HTLV-2 (n=5) and HTLV-untypable (n=3)]. Discussion: HTLV-1 and HTLV-2 are prevalent among blood donors in Manaus. However, additional studies are needed to comprehend the epidemiology of HTLV-1/2 in Amazonas not only to understand the pathophysiology of the disease providing adequate medical assistance, but also to reduce or block virus transmission.
- Prevalence of Human T-Lymphotropic Virus Type 1 among Blood Donors from Mashhad, Iran
- Prevalence of Bowel Symptoms in Patients Infected with Human T-Lymphotropic type 1 Virus
- Human T-lymphotropic virus type I seroprevalence among Japanese Americans.
- HUMAN T-LYMPHOTROPIC VIRUS 1 (HTLV-1) AND HUMAN T-LYMPHOTROPIC VIRUS 2 (HTLV-2): GEOGRAPHICAL RESEARCH TRENDS AND COLLABORATION NETWORKS (1989-2012)
- Detection of Human T-Lymphotropic Virus (HTLV) tax Sequences in New York City Blood Donors Seronegative for HTLV Types 1 and 2