Influence of SEBS-MA and SBS compatibilizers on properties and morphology of blends of polystyrene/rubber residue (SBRr) from the footwear industry
Luna, Carlos Bruno Barreto, Silva, Divânia Ferreira da, Araújo, Edcleide Maria, Oliveira, Amanda Dantas de, Bezerra, Ewerton Oliveira Teotônio
REM, Int. Eng. J.
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
Abstract The reuse of rubber waste is very important today, both to reduce the harmful effects on the environment, and to reduce the cost of new material development. Considering that most of the studies reported in literature refer to the reuse of tire waste, this article aims to evaluate the influence of styrene-butadiene-styrene (SBS) and styrene-(ethylene-butylene)-styrene grafted with maleic anhydride (SEBS-MA) compatibilizers on the blend performance of polystyrene (PS)/styrene-butadiene rubber residue (SBRr), which come from the footwear industry. The blends were prepared in a co-rotating twin screw extruder and then were molded by injection. They were analyzed by impact and tensile tests, heat deflection temperature (HDT), ductile-brittle transition temperature, dynamic mechanical thermal analysis (DMTA) and transmission electron microscopy (TEM). The results evidenced that the use of any of the compatibilizers on the PS/SBRr blend significantly increased the impact strength, while the tensile properties and HDT were lower when compared to the polymer matrix. The ductile-brittle transition temperature remains at approximately 25°C range for all the blends. In general, it has been proved that the SBS was the most effective compatibilization process in the PS/SBRr system. The DMTA test shows the presence of two distinct temperature peaks. The morphologies obtained by TEM of binary and ternary blends were quite different and typical of immiscible blend. The results show a good perspective regarding the use of industrial waste (SBRr), since it may enhance a material that would be discarded.
- Toughening of polystyrene using styrene-butadiene rubber (SBRr) waste from the shoe industry
- Efeito dos agentes de compatibilização SBS e SEBS-MA no desempenho de misturas de poliestireno/resíduo de borracha de SBR
- ERRATA: Efeito dos agentes de compatibilização SBS e SEBS-MA no desempenho de misturas de poliestireno/resíduo de borracha de SBR
- Compatibilization of recycled polypropylene and recycled poly (ethylene terephthalate) blends with SEBS-g-MA
- Effect of compatibilization in situ on PA/SEBS blends