Infertility highlighted in International Brazilian Journal of Urology
Favorito, Luciano A.
Int. braz j urol.
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
ABSTRACT Introduction: To demonstrate the entire surgeon's point of view of a prone split-leg (PSL) endoscopic guided percutaneous nephrolithotomy (ePCNL) recorded with a GoPro® camera for standardization of the essential technical steps towards a successful procedure (1). Materials and methods: A 40y.o female patient presented with right flank pain for three years. She had previously been submitted to shock wave lithotripsy without success. Non-contrast computed tomography (NCCT) revealed a 2cm stone in the renal pelvis with 1400HU and stone-to-skin distance of 11cm (Guy's Stone Score 1). PCNL approach was chosen for providing higher chances of stone-free after a single procedure. Informed consent was obtained. The PSL ePCNL was uneventful with a single access in a mid-pole. The surgeon had a Full HD GoPro Hero 4® camera mounted on his head, controlled by the surgical staff with a remote control. All essential surgical steps were recorded. Results: Operative time was 90 minutes. Hemoglobin drop was 0.7g/dL. The post-operative NCCT scan was stone-free. The patient was discharged 24h after surgery. Kidney stent was left with a string and removed after 5days. The camera worked properly and didn't cause any kind of discomfort to the surgeon. The quality of the recorded movie was excellent. Conclusion: By recording the surgeon's perspective of an endoscopic urological procedure, we were able to provide a comprehensive understanding of the surgical technique by assembling the endoscopic, fluoroscopic, and operative field views. The GoPro® camera proved to be an interesting tool to document surgical procedures without compromising outcomes and has great potential for educational purposes.
- Urethral reconstruction and genitoplasty highlighted in International Brazilian Journal of Urology
- In these difficult times of COVID-19, urologic research cannot stop: COVID-19 pandemic and reconstructive urology highlighted in International Brazilian Journal of Urology
- A decisive year to International Brazilian Journal of Urology
- The Best reviewers of International Brazilian Journal of Urology in 2020
- International Brazilian Journal of Urology Is the Official Information Journal of the American Confederation of Urology - CAU