Glutamine Involvement in Nitrogen Control of Gibberellic Acid Production in Gibberella fujikuroi
Muñoz, Gastón A.
When the fungus Gibberella fujikuroi ATCC 12616 was grown in fermentor cultures, both intracellular kaurene biosynthetic activities and extracellular GA3 accumulation reached high levels when exogenous nitrogen was depleted in the culture. Similar patterns were exhibited by several nonrelated enzymatic activities, such as formamidase and urease, suggesting that all are subject to nitrogen regulation. The behavior of the enzymes involved in nitrogen assimilation (glutamine synthetase, glutamate dehydrogenase, and glutamate synthase) during fungal growth in different nitrogen sources suggests that glutamine is the final product of nitrogen assimilation in G. fujikuroi. When ammonium or glutamine was added to hormone-producing cultures, extracellular GA3 did not accumulate. However, when the conversion of ammonium into glutamine was inhibited by L-methionine-DL-sulfoximine, only glutamine maintained this effect. These results suggest that glutamine may well be the metabolite effector in nitrogen repression of GA3 synthesis, as well as in other nonrelated enzymatic activities in G. fujikuroi.
ACESSO AO ARTIGOhttp://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=195903
- Heritability of fumonisin B1 production in Gibberella fujikuroi mating population A.
- Characterization and Solubilization of Kaurenoic Acid Hydroxylase from Gibberella fujikuroi.
- Nitrate Reduction Mutants of Fusarium Moniliforme (Gibberella Fujikuroi)
- Physiological and Morphological Modifications in Immobilized Gibberella fujikuroi Mycelia
- Species Diversity of and Toxin Production by Gibberella fujikuroi Species Complex Strains Isolated from Native Prairie Grasses in Kansas†