Fatigue strength of several dental ceramics indicated for CAD-CAM monolithic restorations
NISHIOKA, Gabriela, PROCHNOW, Catina, FIRMINO, Aline, AMARAL, Marina, BOTTINO, Marco Antonio, VALANDRO, Luiz Felipe, Renata Marques de, MELO
Braz. oral res.
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
Abstract This in vitro study evaluated the fatigue strength of different ceramic materials indicated for monolithic restorations. Disc-shaped specimens were made according to ISO 6872 from five different ceramic materials: feldspathic ceramic (FC), polymer-infiltrated ceramic network (PIC), lithium disilicate glass-ceramic (LD), zirconia-reinforced lithium silicate glass-ceramic (ZLS), and high translucent tetragonal zirconia polycrystals doped by yttrium (YZ-HT). After obtaining the mean of each material (n = 5) from monotonic load-to-failure tests, specimens (n = 20) were subjected to fatigue tests (staircase method) using a biaxial flexural setup (piston-on-three-balls), to determine the fatigue strength. The parameters used for fatigue tests were: 100,000 cycles at 10 Hz, initial load of ~ 60% of mean load-to-failure, and step size of 5% of the initial load (specific for each ceramic material). Kruskal-Wallis and Bonferroni’s test (α = 0.05) were used to analyze the fatigue strength data. Fatigue strength (MPa) of the materials was statistically different among each other as follows: YZ-HT (370.2 ± 38.7) > LD (175.2 ± 7.5) > ZLS (152.1 ± 7.5) > PIC (81.8 ± 3.9) > FC (50.8 ± 1.9). Thus, it can be concluded that, in terms of fatigue, high translucent polycrystalline zirconia is the best choice for monolithic restorations as it bears the highest load before cracking/fracturing.
- Reliability, failure probability, and strength of resin-based materials for CAD/CAM restorations
- Avaliação de métodos de instalação de implantes e prótese imediata definitiva que utiliza imagens de tomografia computadorizada e sistema computacionais CAD/CAM
- Microtensile bond strength of CAD/CAM materials to dentin under different adhesive strategies
- Influência do acabamento de preparos para coroas totais com microscópio operatório na adaptação marginal de restaurações em cerâmica tipo CAD-CAM
- Passivity of Conventional and CAD/CAM Fabricated Implant Frameworks