Enzyme immunoassay for detection of immunoglobulin M (IgM) and IgG antibodies to Mycoplasma pneumoniae.
Uldum, S A
An enzyme immunoassay (EIA) for detection of immunoglobulin M (IgM) and IgG antibodies to Mycoplasma pneumoniae was developed. The EIA was evaluated on the basis of results in the M. pneumoniae complement fixation (MPCF) test and the cold agglutinin test. Serum samples from 430 patients with respiratory infections of known or unknown etiology, from 91 healthy children and adults and from 20 patients with rheumatoid factor, were investigated. By the criteria chosen for positive diagnostic EIA values, we found that the combined measurement of specific IgM and IgG gave a specificity of 99.7% and a sensitivity of 97.8%. If only IgM antibodies were measured, the specificity was 100% and the sensitivity was 88%. For IgG alone the specificity was 99.7%, but the sensitivity was only 46% because of the high EIA cutoff value chosen for IgG. We found no false positives among serum samples from patients with non-M. pneumoniae respiratory infection of known etiology, and there were no false IgM positives due to rheumatoid factor. In some cases the IgM EIA results became positive earlier in the course of illness than the MPCF titer. While children and teenagers responded predominantly with IgM antibodies, patients older than 40 years often had an IgG response only (56% of cases), probably because of reinfection. We conclude that this EIA is a good alternative to the combined MPCF and cold agglutinin tests in the diagnosis of M. pneumoniae infection.
ACESSO AO ARTIGOhttp://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=265250
- Fast Dipstick Dye Immunoassay for Detection of Immunoglobulin G (IgG) and IgM Antibodies of Human Toxoplasmosis
- Detection of immunoglobulin G (IgG) and IgM antibodies to Toxoplasma gondii: evaluation of four commercial immunoassay systems.
- Functional properties of isotype-switched immunoglobulin M (IgM) and IgG monoclonal antibodies to Pseudomonas aeruginosa lipopolysaccharide.
- Detection of specific IgG and IgM antibodies to Toxoplasma gondii with a commercially available enzyme immunoassay kit system.
- Bicentric evaluation of Access Toxo immunoglobulin M (IgM) and IgG assays and IMx toxo IgM and IgG assays and comparison with Platelia Toxo IgM and IgG assays.