Effect of chitosan-carvacrol edible coatings on the quality and shelf life of tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) fillets stored in ice
CHAPARRO-HERNÁNDEZ, Saraí, RUÍZ-CRUZ, Saúl, MÁRQUEZ-RÍOS, Enrique, OCAÑO-HIGUERA, Víctor Manuel, VALENZUELA-LÓPEZ, Carla Cecilia, ORNELAS-PAZ, José de Jesús, DEL-TORO-SÁNCHEZ, Carmen Lizette
Food Sci. Technol
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
Abstract Fish consumption has increased in recent years. However, fish meat is highly perishable, which demonstrates the need for technologies to preserve its quality. Edible coatings (EC) might provide an alternative to extend the shelf life of fish. The goal of this study was to evaluate the effect of EC of chitosan (C) in combination with carvacrol (CAR) on the physical and microbiological changes of tilapia fillets. Fillets were submerged for two minutes in different treatments (T1: control; T2: C 2%; T3: C 2% + 0.125% CAR; T 4: C 2% + 0.25% CAR). At the end of storage, T1 and T2 showed the lowest values of total volatile bases (TVB). The color parameters L*, a* and b* varied from each treatment. The texture decreased and the different treatments reduced the microbial population in relation to the control; T3 and T4 were the most effective. These results show that the use of C with CAR might be an alternative method to preserve the quality and safety of tilapia fillets.
- Optimizing the shelf-life of minimally processed aquacultured tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) stored under refrigeration.
- Effects of chitosan-tomato plant extract edible coatings on the quality and shelf life of chicken fillets during refrigerated storage
- Desenvolvimento do produto de conveniência Quenelle de tilápia (Oreochromis niloticus)
- Glicerol na dieta de tilÃpias do Nilo (Oreochromis niloticus)
- Evaluation on the Pathogenesis of Streptococcus agalactiae in Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus)