Dental trauma in individuals with severe cerebral palsy: prevalence and associated factors
Miamoto, Cristina Batista, Ramos-Jorge, Maria Letícia, Ferreira, Meire Coelho, Oliveira, Marise de, Vieira-Andrade, Raquel Gonçalves, Marques, Leandro Silva
Brazilian Oral Research
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
The aim of the present study was to determine the prevalence of dental trauma and associated factors among a sample of patients with severe cerebral palsy. The sample was made up of 120 individuals equally divided into two groups. The group with cerebral palsy was made up of 60 patients diagnosed with the spastic form of the disease. The control group was made up of 60 individuals with no mental impairment. Questionnaires were used to collect information on individual, socioeconomic and behavioral characteristics. Dental trauma was assessed based on the clinical chart of each participant, on a questionnaire and on a clinical evaluation to determine past injuries. Mouth mirrors and millimeter periodontal probes (Community Periodontal Index probe) were used to measure overjet. Lip seal and breathing type were determined during the clinical exams and interviews. Statistical analysis involved the chi-square test (p < 0.05) and multivariate logistic regression (forward stepwise procedure). The prevalence of dental trauma was greater among individuals with cerebral palsy (18%) than in the control group (5%), with the difference achieving statistical significance (p = 0.023). Individuals with lip incompetence had a greater chance of exhibiting dental trauma (OR [CI 95%] = 3.81 [1.19-12.24]). The prevalence of dental trauma among individuals with cerebral palsy was high. A lack of lip seal was identified as a factor directly associated to this prevalence.
- Factors associated with dental caries in the primary dentition of children with cerebral palsy
- Factors Associated with the Caregivers' Perception of the Oral Health of Individuals with Cerebral Palsy
- Cerebral palsy: social class differences in prevalence in relation to birthweight and severity of disability.
- Tibial Torsion in Cerebral Palsy: Validity and Reliability of Measurement
- The use of orthoses in children with cerebral palsy: perception of caregivers