Cross-cultural adaptation, validity, and reliability of the Parenting Styles and Dimensions Questionnaire – Short Version (PSDQ) for use in Brazil
Oliveira, Thaís D., Costa, Danielle de S., Albuquerque, Maicon R., Malloy-Diniz, Leandro F., Miranda, Débora M., de Paula, Jonas J.
Rev. Bras. Psiquiatr.
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
Objective: The Parenting Styles and Dimensions Questionnaire (PSDQ) is used worldwide to assess three styles (authoritative, authoritarian, and permissive) and seven dimensions of parenting. In this study, we adapted the short version of the PSDQ for use in Brazil and investigated its validity and reliability. Methods: Participants were 451 mothers of children aged 3 to 18 years, though sample size varied with analyses. The translation and adaptation of the PSDQ followed a rigorous methodological approach. Then, we investigated the content, criterion, and construct validity of the adapted instrument. Results: The scale content validity index (S-CVI) was considered adequate (0.97). There was evidence of internal validity, with the PSDQ dimensions showing strong correlations with their higher-order parenting styles. Confirmatory factor analysis endorsed the three-factor, second-order solution (i.e., three styles consisting of seven dimensions). The PSDQ showed convergent validity with the validated Brazilian version of the Parenting Styles Inventory (Inventário de Estilos Parentais – IEP), as well as external validity, as it was associated with several instruments measuring sociodemographic and behavioral/emotional-problem variables. Conclusion: The PSDQ is an effective and reliable psychometric instrument to assess childrearing strategies according to Baumrind’s model of parenting styles.
- Cross-cultural adaptation, reliability, and content validity of the Brief Negative Symptom Scale (BNSS) for use in Brazil
- Brazilian version of the Cognitive Failures Questionnaire (CFQ): cross-cultural adaptation and evidence of validity and reliability
- Cross-cultural adaptation, validation and reliability of the brazilian version of the Richmond Compulsive Buying Scale
- Cross-cultural adaptation and face validity of the Wheelchair Skills Test Questionnaire (Version 4.3) for caregivers
- Cross-cultural adaptation, reliability, and validity of the St. Thomas’s Falls Risk Assessment Tool in Older Adults (STRATIFY)