Conservation of mayflies (Insecta, Ephemeroptera) in Espírito Santo, southeastern Brazil
Massariol, Fabiana Criste, Soares, Elaine Della Giustina, Salles, Frederico Falcão
Rev. Bras. entomol.
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
Conservation of mayflies (Insecta, Ephemeroptera) in Espírito Santo, southeastern Brazil. Ephemeroptera exhibits great diversity among bodies of freshwater in the Atlantic Forest, a biome that is suffering from massive human impact. Within this context, the creation of conservation units using biological information is more recommended than economic, cultural, or political criteria. The distribution pattern of 76 Ephemeroptera species was analyzed using the biogeographical methods Parsimony Analysis of Endemicity and Network Analysis Method in order to infer relevant areas for conservation of the mayfly community in Espírito Santo. The results obtained from both analyses were largely congruent, and pointed out four relevant areas for conservation: two in the south of the state, where conservation units or priority areas for conservation are well established; and two in the north, a region in the state where little conservation efforts have been historically done. Therefore, based on our analyses on mayflies, we recommend the expansion of the existing APCs or the creation of new APCs on the north of Espírito Santo.
- Checklist of Ephemeroptera (Insecta) from São Mateus River Basin, Espírito Santo, Brazil
- Leptohyphidae (Insecta: Ephemeroptera) from northeastern Brazil
- Primeiro levantamento da fauna de Ephemeroptera (Insecta) do Espírito Santo, Sudeste do Brasil
- Baetidae (Insecta, Ephemeroptera) em córregos do cerrado matogrossense sob diferentes níveis de preservação ambiental
- Ephemerelloidea (Insecta: Ephemeroptera) do Brasil