Chemical composition of propolis extract and its effects on epirubicin-induced hepatotoxicity in rats
Rev. bras. farmacogn.
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
ABSTRACT Propolis is a natural substance, produced by honeybees from the resin of various plants. The purpose of this study was to determine the chemical composition and evaluate the hepatoprotective effect of ethyl acetate extract of propolis from Tigzirt, against the toxicity induced by epirubicin which is a anticancer agent, and belongs to the family of antracyclines. The study included thirty male Wistar albino rats divided into five groups. The rats received the extraction of propolis or the quercetin orally for 15 days. The hepatotoxicity was promoted by injection epirubicin (i.v.) with a cumulative dose of 9 mg/kg. Several biological parameters were measured. Oxidative status was also assessed by evaluating antioxidant enzyme and histological study of some organs. Epirubicin caused oxidative stress by a significant decrease in hepatic antioxidant enzymes (gluthation peroxidase, catalase, superoxide dismutase), increased malondialdehyde and liver parameters (ASAT, ALAT, γGT, ALP) compared to the control. The histological study revealed major damage to the liver. Perturbations in this liver function, antioxidant status and damage to the liver by epirubicin have been repaired by the administration of propolis. Furthermore, epirubicin showed inflammatory effects induced by an increase in TNF-α and PGE2. Pretreatment with propolis to rats restored these inflammatory parameters. The chemical identification of extract of propolis by HPLC/UV shows the presence of polyphenolic compounds and many flavonoids. The propolis extract showed a significant reduction in oxidative damage from oxidative stress and a very important protective effect against epirubicin-induced hepatotoxicity.
- Chemical composition and effects of micronized corn bran on iron bioavailability in rats
- Alcoholic extract of propolis in Nile tilapia post-larvae and fingerlings’ diets: effects on production performance, body composition and intestinal histology
- Chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of two extract of propolis against isolates of Staphylococcus spp. and multiresistant bacterials
- Gastroprotective and antioxidant effects of Eremurus spectabilis Bieb. methanol extract and its isolated component isoorientin on indomethacin induced gastric ulcers in rats
- Propolis effect on streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats