Architecture of a remote impedance-based structural health monitoring system for aircraft applications
Martins, Luiz G. A., Finzi Neto, Roberto M., Steffen Jr., Valder, Palomino, Lizeth V., Rade, Domingos A.
J. Braz. Soc. Mech. Sci. & Eng.
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
The essence of structural health monitoring (SHM) is to develop systems based on nondestructive inspection (NDI) technologies for continuous monitoring, inspection and detection of structural damages. A new architecture of a remote SHM system based on Electromechanical Impedance (EMI) measures is described in the present contribution. The proposed environment is employed to automatically monitor the structural integrity of aircrafts and is composed by sensor networks, a signal conditioning system, a data acquisition hardware and a data processing system. The obtained results allow the accomplishment of structural condition-based maintenance strategies, in opposite to those based only on the usage time of the equipment. This approach increases the operational capacity of the structure without compromising the security of the flights. As the environment continually checks for the first signs of damage, possibly reducing or eliminating scheduled aircraft inspections, it could significantly decrease maintenance and repair expenses. Furthermore, the usage of this system allows the creation of a historical database of the aircrafts structural integrity, making possible the incremental development of a Damage Prognosis System (DPS). This work presents the proposed architecture and a set of experiments that were conducted in a representative aircraft structure (aircraft window) to demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed system.
- Electromechanical Impedance - Based Structural Health Monitoring Instrumentation System Applied to Aircraft Structures and Employing a Multiplexed Sensor Array
- Impedance-based detection of DNA sequences using a silicon transducer with PNA as the probe layer
- TLP Structural Health Monitoring Based on Vibration Signal of Energy Harvesting System
- A software architecture process for SOA-based enterprise applications
- System Architecture-based Design Methodology for Monitoring the Ground-based Augmentation System: Category I - Integrity Risk