A study of the phytotoxic effects of the aerial parts of Senecio westermanii Dusén (Asteraceae) on Lactuca sativa L. and Allium cepa L. seeds
Merino, Francis José Zortéa, Ribas, Daniele Felipe, Silva, Cristiane Bezerra da, Duarte, Ana Flávia Schvabe, Paula, Cristiane da Silva, Oliveira, Maislian de, Dias, Josiane de Fátima Gaspari, Miguel, Marilis Dallarmi, Miguel, Obdulio Gomes
Braz. J. Pharm. Sci.
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
The objective of this study was to evaluate the effects of the ethanolic crude extracts and fractions of the species Senecio westermanii Dusén on Lactuca sativa L. (lettuce) and Allium cepa L. (onion) seeds. We assessed the germination, growth, root respiration and photosynthesis of the target species in Petri dishes (9.0 cm diameter) containing filter paper n°6. The study was conducted using 50 seeds per plate and held in 4 replicates per concentration of each sample. In the germination there was an inhibitory effect of fractions hexane (FH) and chloroform (FCl) at concentrations of 500 and 1000 µg/mL. There was a reduction in the radicle growth of lettuce by 14 to 24% and a reduction of hypocotilum by 14 to 28%. As for the radicle of the onion was up 74% reduction to the FCl and the coleoptile was 24 and 45% reduction for FH and FCl, respectively. Inhibitory effects in the root respiration of lettuce were detected in all the samples analyzed, with results ranging from 16 to 83%. For the seeds of A. cepa, there was an encouragement for the FCl and ethyl acetate fractions (FAE), with results ranging from 94 to 142% and 76 to 150%, respectively. With regard to the photosynthesis of L. sativa, there was no significant difference between the control, and as for the A. cepa, there was a strain in inhibition concentrations of 250 and 500 µg/mL, which ranged from 27 to 68%. The samples of S. westermanii caused changes in the target species and thus can be used as a natural herbicide.
- Effects of Pterocaulon polystachyum DC. (Asteraceae) on onion (Allium cepa) root-tip cells
- Potencial alelopático de espécies nativas na germinação e crescimento inicial de Lactuca sativa L. (Asteraceae)
- Efeito genotóxico e antiproliferativo de Mikania cordifolia (L. F.) Willd. (Asteraceae) sobre o ciclo celular de Allium cepa L.
- Atividade alelopática de folhas e pseudofrutos de Hovenia dulcis Thunb. (Rhamnaceae) sobre a germinação de Lactuca sativa L. (Asteraceae)
- Effect of Salicylhydroxamic Acid on Endosperm Strength and Embryo Growth of Lactuca sativa L. cv Waldmann's Green Seeds 1