Antimicrobial activity of bergenin from Endopleura uchi (Huber) Cuatrec
Silva,Saulo L. da
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
Endopleura uchi (Huber) Cuatrec. is an Amazon species traditionally used as treatment for inflammations and female disorders. Bergenin was isolated from ethyl acetate fraction of bark of E. uchi by using column chromatography over sephadex LH-20 and then silica gel 60 flash. Its structure was identified on the basis of its NMR spectra. The antimicrobial activity of bergenin and fractions of methanol extract of E. uchi were evaluated against ATCC microorganisms (Escherichia coli, Salmonella enteritidis, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Enterococcus faecalis, Staphylococcus aureus, Candida albicans, C. guilliermondii, Aspergillus flavus, A. nidulans). Clinically isolated strains of all of these microorganisms, along with C. tropicalis, A. niger, Shigella sonnei, Serratia marcenses and Klebsiella pneumoniae were also evaluated. The growth inhibition caused by bergenin, extracts and fractions of E. uchi against ATCC microorganisms were similar to the inhibition to microorganisms clinically isolated. The ethyl acetate fraction and the isolate bergenin inhibit the growth of the yeasts C. albicans, C. tropicalis, and C. guilliermondii, but present lower activity against filamentous fungi Aspergillus flavus, A. nidulans, A. niger, and did not inhibit the Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria. The activity of the ethyl acetate fraction and bergenin are in agreement wit its high concentration found in bark extract of E. uchi. Moreover, the selective activity against three Candida species helps to understand its traditional use against infections that affect women.
- Estudo da extração e secagem por spray dryer das cascas de Endopleura uchi (Huber) Cuatrec. Humiriaceae
- Characterization of bergenin in Endopleura uchi bark and its anti-inflammatory activity
- Box-Behnken design to study the bergenin content and antioxidant activity of Endopleura uchi bark extracts obtained by dynamic maceration
- Avaliação alelopática das folhas de Endopleura uchi.
- Identificação de bergenina e carotenóides no fruto de uchi (Endopleura uchi, Humiriaceae)